Skip to main content

The Big Degu Cage Build - Part Eight

Work on the cage has slowed a little due to other commitments but all four doors have now been meshed and the aluminium angle has been cut to size. The angle will protect the doors from degu teeth and protect them from any sharp bits on the mesh edges.

2 of 4 doors with mesh attached

Tomorrow I'm not expecting to get much done other than maybe a coat of paint on the outside as I'm frantically trying to meet a deadline for work. I had hoped my order of cage accessories would arrive today as the website had them sitting in my local delivery hub but it looks like it'll be Monday now.

I can't wait to get them! I've ordered:

  • Some wooden bridges and ladders to use as ramps through the cage.
  • A glass water bottle so that I can put it inside rather than through the doors.
  • A 2 storey log cabin for their nest box.
  • A grass hammock which they'll non doubt have chewed in a few hours.
  • A temporary large wooden wheel. I'm hoping to be able to make them a flying saucer wheel from a metal dish and parts from a lazy susan soon.

I also have my chinchilla dust for their baths, some big balls made from grass and sisal for them to play with, a tube which I'll be using under the substrate as a hideaway, and a small wooden tunnel. I also have my eye on a branch designed for reptiles until I can go out and find some 'free' branches. I have a feeling that they'll eat £12.99 in no time though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Degus Have Moved In

This morning 3 little degus became the newest members of my family and they're the 3 cutest girls ever! I was up until midnight filling and dressing their cage ready for them to move in and they are loving it. 2 of them still think that there are only 2 floors and not 4, and all 3 have spent most of the day running in their wheel. Just before I settled down to write this they were all in a 'goo pile' on top of their cabin. It's a little dark in the room for a decent photo and I don't want to use the flash so I'll have to wait until there's a little more light to get a photo of them huddled together. They are all still a little flighty and scared of the camera but I managed to get a few decent photos of them. Don't have any names yet as I'm waiting to see what kind of personalities they have. My brother wants to call them Penny, Amy, and Bernadette… The Big Degu Theory! UPDATE — Here's a little video my brother recorded. :)

My Degu Cage Plans

Building a cage to house my degus is starting to take over my life. I've spent weeks jotting things down and thinking of ways to make it as degu proof as possible. The problem is that I could probably spend months just making sure I've thought of everything so I've decided to go for it. This morning I worked out how much material I would need for a basic cage structure to the one below (allowing extra for adjustments) and popped down to my local Wickes to order it all. I will also be adding 2 sets of mesh doors and a mesh roof but I haven't drawn these on the diagram. I've gone for mesh doors as the room it will be in is a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house and it will allow for better air circulation. The RSPCA recommends a minumim CARA (cumulative available running area) of 12,000 sq.cm for 2 degus. Owners recommend a CARA of 17,000 sq.cm so I've gone for a happy medium of around 15,000 sq.cm. Ideally I should have at least 2 levels measur

DIY Flying Saucer Wheel Version 1

If you've been following my experiences as a degu owner you'll know that my girls decided to destroy their exercise wheels . I was incredibly lucky to even get the 6 months that they lasted.